Friday, February 18, 2005

The Parade

Bicentennial Parade—Redwood City, California

It was July 4th 1976. I was a junior in high school. I didn't know what a gay person was, but I sure new what a fag was...and everybody hated them from what I could tell. But it was a period when people were more interested in letting people live and let live. The Viet Nam war was finally over and the country wanted to look for and live a life more peaceful. The 70's was a time where people just wanted to be free of the recent past...free of everything.

That July was the country's bicentennial and Redwood City's annual parade that year would be the biggest yet. I had a great view along the route and watched for what seemed like hours and then there they were...the San Francisco Gay and Lesbian Marching Band. They were all decked out in bright red, white and blue sequin uniforms; boys twirling batons and girls toting tubas. They were good and they looked like they were having a great time time.

I felt some apprehension with their boldness...actually marching in public, letting everybody know they were fudge packers and rug lickers. Gawd they had nerve, but I wasn't disgusted. I expected someone to throw something or at least cat-calls, but something happened to my surprise. The crowds cheered them on like crazy, more so than any other band. I could tell everybody respected and admired their courage to be who they were and to be honest about it. I heard such things too among people later on as they walked down the sidewalks to their celebratory BBQ waiting for them at home. Redwood City was a conservative town soth of San Francisco and to experience this was comforting for some reason.

What did I think...I wasn't gay, but the lead baton twirler was hot!

No comments: